When it comes to choosing a web host of your website, a little more careful consideration is required. Thus this is especially when you are choosing between Siteground v/s Hostgator.
Let’s do a complete in-depth Siteground vs Hostgator comparison to find out which one is going to be the best web hosting for you.
Siteground is a web hosting company founded in 2004 in Sofia, Bulgaria. It reports servicing more than 2,000,000 domains worldwide. It provides shared hosting, cloud hosting, and enterprise solution as well as email hosting and domain registration.
Hostgator is a Houston based provider of shared, reseller, virtual private server and dedicated web hosting with an additional presence in Austin.
That has won the hearts of many through cost-effective plans, easy to use cPanel servers, consistent uptime reliability, and many more.
Siteground vs Hostgator- An Overview
What is Siteground?
Siteground is a fantastic web hosting service created for easy website management. The company was founded by Ivo Tzenou back in 2004.
- All customers get a free SSC certificate and Cloudflare CDN.
- There are 30 days money-back guarantee.
- Google Cloud Server with PHP7, HTTP / 2, and NGINX + caching.
- Free SSD drive comes included in all shared hosting plans.
- Is an official partner of wordpress.org
- All plans come with fully managed hosting
They have the best talent and then train employees to be the top experts in the industry. Whereas which optimizes woo-commerce hosting, reseller hosting, and enterprise hosting. Hence the company develops new-age software solutions for speed optimization, account isolation, monitoring, and reaction. Other goodies include email hosting, domain registration, free SSL, free CDN, site migration, detailed tutorial, accessible faculty, and many more.
What is Hostgator?
Hostgator is one of the top 10 largest website hosting companies in the world. Thus they host more than 8 million domains.
- One-click WordPress installation
- 45 days money back and 99.9% server uptime guarantee
- Up to 2.5x faster servers, global CDN, daily backup and restore automatic malware removal
- 27*7*365 support via phone, live chat, and ticket system
- Free website, domain, My SQL and script transfer
- Free SSL certificate with let’s encrypt
- Customized firewall against DDoS attacks
It was founded in 2002 by Brent Oxley who created the company from his room at Florida Atlantic University. Although they offer, you shared hosting, WordPress hosting, virtual private server, and dedicated hosting. They have a good number of hosting plans, and each comes with 45 days money back and 99.99% uptime guarantees. Other features include unmetered bandwidth SEO tools, free email address, one-click app installer, site migration, SSC certification, and lot more.
What types of hosting plans are available?
Shared hosting is usually the most cost-effective option for the business that don’t require a large number of resources.
Siteground shared hosting plans
The hosting plans are entitled startup Grow big and GoGeek. Thus these plans offer up to 30 GB disk space. Whereas, the high-end plan is suitable for up to 100,000 visits per month. Although the company mid-range and high-end plan also supply multiple websites.
Hostgator shared hosting plans
The hosting plans are hatching baby and business plans. Hence the plans all offer unmetered bandwidth unlimited disk space and unlimited email accounts.
Siteground WordPress plans
While the company does not offer WordPress specific packages thus, they are one of the few hosts on the planet directly recommended by WordPress. Though, their packages include a 1-click installer command-line management option and automatic updates.
Hostgator WordPress plans
It does not offer WordPress specific hosting plans. Thus, it recommended users to content management systems on its hatching, body, and business plans. This package includes one-click install functionality, unmetered bandwidth, as well as email marketing included.
Why choose one over the other?
Siteground offers superior website hosting compared to Hostgator’s. Thus the Hostgator is the biggest company, but Siteground has created in house technology that delivers a faster and more reliable hosting service. Siteground is particularly respected for its managed WordPress hosting whereas Hostgator shines in the shared hosting space with lower prices in comparison. Site ground in terms of customer support, security, and page loads speeds. Hostgator offers you free $200 credit to kickstart advertising on Google and Bing. Hostgator is the most popular brand of the two, whereas Siteground’s brand popularity has risen dramatically.
Where are the data centres for each host located?
It is crucial for your business as the speed at which your customers can access your websites depends on how near they are to the data centre you choose. Hence it is crucial to ensure that your website remains online as much as possible.
These are based across three continents with the location, which are U.S., Singapore, Netherlands, and the U.K.
The physical data centres are highly secure and rely on multiple connectivity and power source to make sure that your website stays online.
They have two U.S. based data centres in Houston, Texas, and Provo Utah. Thus, their servers are highly secure and are monitored by system administrators.
What happens if the host goes down?
Thus, it offers all customers a 99.99% monthly uptime guarantee whereas a 99.9% yearly uptime guarantee. Hence the software solves 90% of all server issues with no human interactions who track within 1-5 minutes problem gets fixed much faster and there less downtime overall.
It offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee. However, they are not obligated to give you credit for the next month of hosting.
Physical infrastructure security and hardware redundancies
Although they have the latest in the physical security system, bulletproof lobbying, uninterrupted power supplies, multiple redundancies when it comes to hardware/software. Therefore Siteground keeps replacement part for every piece of all server model that is used in case a bit fails.
Siteground believes in prevention where possible. Thus they write their patches to fix the problem instead of waiting for others to do so. Therefore they spend resources on what is necessary to look after their customers.
Scanning for malware and viruses
Malware scans and backups are carried out weekly. It will cost money to restore your site from Hostgator backups.
24/7/365 technical monitoring
Technicians and admin personnel work in the centres 24/7/365 to solve problems whereas the public is even aware anything is wrong.
Secure Physical Facilities
They have higher quality cooling systems, fire suppressors, smoke detectors, diesel generators. Whereas an uninterrupted power supply in case power is lost even for a single minute.
What support options are available and what hours?
Staff work around the dock to ensure quality support, and every employee’s performance and speed is assessed regularly.
It helps you learn about different aspects of your site.
Customers on the GoGeek and higher plan get “advanced priority support”. Thus this means their service request is routed to the most experienced technical support team members and prioritized.
It offers you just about all the support scenarios you could ever need.
Although your option includes-live chat, emails, phone calls, access to more than 500 tutorials whereas 700+ articles on different aspects of the site.
Pros of SiteGround hosting:
- Excellent uptime: SiteGround has some of the best availability figures around (nearly 100%). We’ll cover this more below
- High-speed hosting: Because of the hardware they use (e.g. SSD disks) and the software solution (e.g. SG Optimizer and HTTP/2), they offer above-average speeds.
- Easy and intuitive to use: Your system is easy to use, and the features are perfectly integrated between them.
- Excellent support and assistance: SiteGround offers a complete level of customer care. Its tutorials and guides are also of high quality.
- Free migration: If you choose the Grow Big plan or higher, they will migrate your website (once) for free.
- Outstanding reliability with reliable uptime
- Highly scalable plans
- Excellent customer support via live chat
- Offers Let’s Encrypt Wildcard SSL
- Automated backups with self-restore
- Free site migration for new customers
- HTTP/2 enabled in all plans
Cons of SiteGround web hosting:
- Expensive renewal pricing structure: If you don’t buy for three years, you will find it very costly after one year.
- Mixed hosting speed results for some areas
- Shared plans offer limited storage
- Relatively high renewal prices
Pros of Hostgator:
- 45-day money-back & 99.9% server-uptime guarantee
- Unlimited storage & bandwidth
- Free Website, Domain, MYSQL & Script Transfer
- Customized firewall against DDoS attacks
- Free SSL Certificate with Let’s Encrypt
- 24/7/365 Support via Phone, Live Chat, and Ticket System
- Up to 2.5x faster servers, Global CDN, Daily Backup & Restore, Automatic Malware Removal (Host Gator’s Managed WordPress Hosting only)
- 1-Click WordPress Installation
- Many Hosting Choices:- HostGator offers many different Hosting services and hosting plans that suit for anyone. Hence they offer Shared Web Hosting for small sites, cloud hosting, reseller hosting, Virtual Private Servers (VPS). Though, the most used HostGator hosting service is shared hosting. Thus HostGator shared web hosting comes in three different plans, Hatchling (The most popular), Baby, and Business Plans.
Cons of Hostgator:
- Only the Cloud & Managed WordPress plans come with the Speed, Security & Extra features.
- Expect some upsells along the way.
- No daily backup: HostGator shared hosting does not come with free daily backup; thus, his means you will have to use an external backup service. Therefore they do take weekly server backups, but there is an additional fee for backup restore.